By Heather Cass
North East High School was well represented in D-10 boys swim competition on Wednesday, March 3, at Cathedral Prep’s Aquatics Center in downtown Erie, with six boys swimming in three relays and several individual events.
It was no easy feat to make it to district competition this year as the field was narrowed to allow for social distancing protocols, which meant fewer swimmers moved onto the next level.
Boys were slated to start swimming in the early afternoon Wednesday and Friday, March 5.
As of press time, spectators were not permitted, but competition was expected to be livestreamed.
Check the North East Aquatics page (www.facebook.com/pickeraquatics) on Facebook for a link.
The North East boys swam their way into nice seed positions with sophomore Evan Kemp seeded first in the 100 fly and third in the 200 IM. The boys relay teams are also seeded well — fifth in the 200 medley, seventh in the 200 free, third in the 400 free.
Here’s a list of Picker Fish who competed for in the D-10 AA competition:
• 200 Medley Relay – Evan Kemp, Mason Currier, Grant Girts and Collin Lawry, seeded fifth with a 1:50:55
• 200 Freestyle – Grant Girts, seeded seventh with a 1:54.64
• 200 Individual Medley – Evan Kemp, seeded third with a 2:07.16
• 100 fly – Evan Kemp, seeded first with a 56.28; Grant Girts, seeded eighth with a 58.78
• 200 free relay – Thies-Green, Jackson Currier, M. Currier, Lawry – seeded seventh with a 1:40.07
• 100 breast – M. Currier, seeded eighth with a 1:10.18; Thies-Green, seeded 10th with a 1:10.71
• 400 free relay – Girts, J. Currier, Lawry, Kemp, seeded third with a 3:38.02
Results will be published in a later edition of the North East News-Journal.