By Tanner Widomski
North East senior Garrett Hein reached the rare 1,000-point milestone during the Pickers 71-57 loss to Erie First Christian Academy on Tuesday, Feb. 23.
Going into the game, Hein needed eight points to reach the 1,000 point plateau, which he collected by knocking down a free throw with 5:13 remaining in the third quarter to become only the 17th player in North East boys and girls basketball history to reach the milestone.
He is the 10th boy to make it to 1,000 points and the first since Matt Triana did so in 2008.
The game was stopped briefly to honor Hein’s accomplishment. He was greeted on the court by his teammates, coaches, and even the opponents to commemorate the moment.
Erie First got off to a hot start in the game and led 24-7 after the first quarter and North East was unable to chip away much at that Eagles’ lead throughout the game.
Whenever you thought the Pickers would go on a run, the Eagles responded on the offensive end and got many second chance opportunities which turned into points.
Erie First senior and District 10 leading scorer, Aaron Collins, led all scorers with 36 points and they also had great contributions from Anthony Collins and Sam Gonzalez, who had 15 and 14 points, respectively.
North East was led by Garrett Hein, who finished with 23 points. Ryan Mayes had another solid showing off the bench with 13, and Seth Fuller added eight points.
North East’s 1,000 Point Scorers:
1. Cuyler Cunningham (1,555 points)
2. Greg Hamilton (1,414 points)
3. Rick Rouse (1,412 points)
4. David Mazza (1,345 points)
5. Dave Lanahan (1,295 points)
6. Bill Ramsdell (1,160 points)
7. Matt Triana (1,098 points)
8. Jason Crotty (1,072 points)
9. Garrett Hein (1,015 points)
10. Dwaine Bagley (1,000 points)
1. Alex Artise (1,454 points)
2. Rachel Brown (1,315 points)
3. Siarra Cornelius (1,295 points)
4. Kristen Mankowski (1,238 points)
5. Felicity Sluga (1,181 points)
6. Susan Baldwin (1,144 points)
7. Trisha Mahoney (1,024 points)