Please let it be known that we totally agree with retired police chief Tom Huber regarding the stability of our North East police force in the borough.
A few questions to ponder are the following:
• What would people in this town do for the prompt protective services if the police are moved to the township?
• Why would the police be encouraged to move from a building that is already debt-free?
• What is the plan that Mercyhurst has for a “for-profit” entity to purchase the beautiful 80+ acres and buildings that are part of our “non-profit” cultural and spiritual heritage and have been a beacon of light for over 100 years?
• Is this all part of a larger scheme that was in the works long before MNE informed us of their move from our area?
• What are the true motives for all these ideas?
• Is the aim a new tax-base to shore-up the borough?
Follow the lists in the North East News-Journal to see the police calls for domestic violence, disputes, drug-related problems, traffic stops, etc. in the borough and anyone can see the need for a strong and ready police presence in the borough.
Do not be deluded into thinking that the borough and township want to be formed into a single “city.” We have been down that route in the past and it was not feasible.
Citizens should be outraged at the undisclosed aspects of this whole plan.
Our community would appreciate answers.
Ann M. Filutze